10 Ways to Safely Handle Bleach at Home

Bleach is a disinfectant that is used in varying degrees in millions of homes around the world. In this article, we will look at a few ways on how to use bleach correctly.

Do you know how to safely handle bleach at home? Bleach is the most effective disinfectant when it comes to killing viruses, mold, bacteria and all kinds of germs on surfaces such as floors . It is also inexpensive and readily available.

In particular, bleach is obtained by diluting sodium hypochlorite (NaCIO) in water. Bleach is slightly yellow in color and has a characteristic odor. Also, use 3-5% bleach for household use and 10% bleach for swimming pools. Let’s look at some ways to safely handle bleach at home.

How to Safely Handle Bleach at Home

As explained in an article by the US National Center for Biotechnology Information, bleach is an irritant and should be used with caution . Bleach, which causes breathing difficulties and can also affect the skin and mucous membranes, reacts readily when combined with other chemicals.

Improper use may reduce disinfection efficiency and release toxic vapors. So how can you safely use bleach? Below are 10 suggestions.

1. Wear gloves

Hypochlorite is very strong and can cause skin irritation and burns , so always wear gloves when using bleach.

Handling bleach safely with gloves
Wearing gloves when handling bleach will prevent the product from irritating the skin on your hands.

2. How to safely handle bleach at home: Ventilate.

Whenever bleach is used, it releases vapors that can irritate the nasal mucosa, so it must be handled in a well-ventilated environment. Some symptoms that may occur include:

  • sneeze
  • shortness of breath
  • tearing
  • dry mouth
  • burning eyes and throat

3. Do not mix bleach with other products

Bleach should not be mixed with other chemicals, especially ammonia . This combination produces chloramines and irritating and toxic gases. Also, do not dilute it with vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, or other substances that can produce gases or harmful vapors.

4. Do not dilute bleach in hot water

When chlorine comes into contact with hot water, it loses its disinfecting properties. Therefore , it must be diluted with tap water at room temperature .

5. Do not use for general cleaning

Bleach does not replace detergents for cleaning and degreasing surfaces. Use after cleaning, only for disinfection , not for dust or oil residue .

6. Read the manufacturer’s label carefully when handling bleach safely at home.

As already mentioned, bleach comes in various concentrations, so it’s important to know which one you’re using. In addition, you can see the effect of the product only by reading the label and following it.

7. Don’t be multi-purpose

Bleach is a powerful disinfectant, but it is not versatile and can be used on all surfaces. For example, when it comes into contact with fabric, the color fades and deteriorates. Likewise, it is not recommended to use it on stainless steel, marble, chrome surfaces, wood, etc.

8. Give the bleach time to work

After cleaning a surface with bleach, do not wipe off the bleach for at least one minute.

9. Use the right amount

Using more bleach than recommended or using a more concentrated bleach does not guarantee better disinfection. You may waste product and even risk poisoning.

In this context , the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends a concentration of 0.1% or 1,000 ppm . In other words, use 1 ppm of 5% household bleach per 49 ppm of water.

10. Store properly

This disinfectant should be stored in an opaque container and out of reach of children and pets . Remember that it can be mistaken for water because it is almost colorless. Drinking bleach by mistake can cause serious harm.

Handling Bleach Safely
It is important to store bleach properly. Otherwise, family accidents may occur.

One last tip for safe handling of bleach at home

As a commonly used product, various tips and tricks are known regarding the use of bleach, but not all of them are accurate. The dangers of bleach and not knowing how to care for it can pose a health and safety hazard. Also, remember the following:

  • Do not use bleach to wash fruits or vegetables or to sanitize food.
  • Do not wipe the face mask with the product.
  • Do not use for gargling or similar treatments. It is very irritating to mucous membranes and is toxic.

Currently, bleach is the most effective disinfectant. I use it regularly, but it’s still an irritating product, so use it with caution.

How about this article?

Leave a Comment